Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Children & Work Ethics and Parenting them both..

All kids have a "currency". When we ask them to do their chores,its a job. Its truly is their first experience with employment. As parents it is important to discover what is a appropriate currency to motivate each child. My kids love their computer time for instance. By doing chores they earn time to use the computer. Smaller jobs earn less time bigger jobs more time.Some kids want to get a treat or maybe be "the helper" on a trip to the store. A job done exceptionally well can even earn a bonus. Team approach works well to incite kids to work together. As adults we sometimes will need to work on projects together in the work place. Fostering an attitude of compassion and empathy towards those who need some assistance in completing their part of a project helps bring them together.I have found nurturing the qualities I want to see more of,works better than being a grouch about the long list of qualities I want to see less. Positive reinforcement will win every time in long term changing of behaviors.

I have a dear friend that was looking for ideas on managing her larger than average family. I don't think that there is a one size fits all style of parenting. Ever child responds differently to different parenting methods. I think that being fair and just is so important to being a good parent. The problem I think that we are faced with in conducting parenting, is that we worry about things appearing unfair to the other kids. What I have found myself doing over the past couple of years is realizing that how I handle different situations with each child ,is between me and the child who is being counseled. Other children feel often times inclined to question whether a sibling received this or that privilege, or what the punishment was for an offense. I have begun to answer with responses such as" That is between your Dad, me and Child x".

Heavenly Father handles each and every one of his children differently. I truly believe that the way we learn each lesson that we need to learn during our temporal stay here on earth, is based on what precept we are ready to learn next. The Lord dosent expect us to be anyone but our best selves,continually working to do our best. As a parent, I try to discipline according to where each child is in their ability to grasp certain concepts. I do expect for each child to do their best~every child s best is different and chronological age often times is not the most important factor. My favorite parenting book is this book below. It changed everything about how I interact w/ my children. I recommend it so much, that the copy I have is literally my 5 or 6th copy,as I have given away my other copies.The copy I have now, I have written all throughout the margins and underlined passages all over the book~ Im NOT giving up this copy lol! But here is the book if you are needing to go and figure out a different way of dealing w/ your kids. It really helped me alot Amazon.com has it for a really great price.



When they do a great job with teamwork on a project OR they each have made their goals on a chart system for chores and behavior...dont forget, McDonalds has those ice cream cones for 50 cents this summer. Soft serve vanilla cones! I have been driving through weekly all summer ordering (10) lol! with a total of $5 for a family reward.I have found nothing beats the excitement of when they realize that they EARNED a treat!

1 comments:

Chablis said...

That is an awesome idea...the McD's ice cream. I've heard lots about the original "Love language" book, but not the Children's version. I might be heading to Barnse n Noble soon. :)

btw- neither of your phone numbers in my list work, but you signed up to bring a dessert and a side dish to our bbq on Friday at 6:00. Just a reminder. See you there!!