
This semester I am taking 12 units. All those units are crammed into 2 nights per week. Mondays are a BEAR with 6 full hours! Ethics is that night, along with Advanced Human Development. Wednesdays are not as bad on paper because I just have "Theories". By all intent and purpose... tonight should have been a brreeeze.lol!
Unless of course your professor doesn't teach like any instructor I have ever encountered.
He begins the class talking about his style of teaching. He explains that "thinking" causes much of the suffering we all deal with. He has a very convincing argument to back up his reasoning. People think them selves into anger,into feeling terribly about ourselves and even into being quite...insane.
His goal is for each student to learn to feel.
He wants us discover/follow our own personal style of interpreting his assignments. He proudly embraces his flower child nature to include mismatched socks; one rainbow, and one.... w/ teddy bears all over it. 
We did a trust walk. We paired up w/ someone and then went outside and meandered about the campus letting our partner lead. Then, we switched off and led our partner around ~same idea, building trust.
I sat there w/ my fresh note pad on my lap and my book bag of "essential" items. At the end of class I hadn't even filled 1 sheet of paper in the note pad.
A week or so ago,I was able to meet the second year students at orientation. Everyone raved about how wonderful this professor is. Apparently everyone ends up crying at LEAST once in this class. "We are bonded by our IMPERFECTIONS...not our perfections. This being crucial to becoming a great therapist.The struggles, failures and experiences make each one of us to different...but even more the same.
I was in tears on the way home tonight. I want to do well. I have already read all the books "assigned" for this class. I took notes and even highlighted the tar out of those books,lol!It seems however, I must tap into a totally different kind of intelligence for success in this class.
honesty, trust, freedom and openness are paramount to Dr. Love and in his esoteric knowledge, crucial to all healthy relationships.
I don't DO the whole "feeling" thing. I'm not girly that way about anything other than my kids. When I have feelings come up...I like to push them waaaayyyyy back down to the deepest darkest corners of my mind. It sounds weird, but really, isn't that why we were built with a mind to think? If we let our feelings rule us...what then separates us from primates other than; opposable thumbs and the ability to shave?
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Dr. Love
Posted by Eden at 12:01 AM
Labels: Challenges, school
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Whoa, I'm the same way with my feelings. This guy sounds like quite a trip. I bet you'll catch on soon. I'd even bet that a lot of the other students in your class felt the same way you did!
You're AWESOME!!
Post a Comment